Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Find Your Unique Value Proposition

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. My wife Kendra came up with the following idea, but she is a lot smarter than I am so no surprises there.

We were discussing career options, including the idea of my starting a marketing and advertising agency. I had just finished moderating a virtual investor conference for LD Micro, with my former colleagues at Issuer Direct. The 4 day project involved keeping C-Suite executives on a 20 minute schedule as they presented their companies to prospective investors, asking them questions submitted by the online audience, and gently wrapping them up as time expired.

The event went very well, and I got some very positive feedback about how I had made the process easy and added to the polish of the presentations.

So here is where my wife's ability to cut through the fog. She pointed out that I offer, based on my experience and skill set, a unique value proposition. I have the ability to guide someone through a specific kind of marketing content, the interview. You may be an expert in your field and marketing your business based on that expertise is a good idea. A lot of successful content marketing revolves around people in leadership roles. But you need a different kind of expert to help tell that story. Find someone that has made communications their focus, and can do it with a little dash of showbiz.

I did mention this particular skill that sets me apart previously in my blog post titled "1000 Words," but I wanted to give you a couple of concrete examples. The first is the virtual conference moderator gig I mentioned above. The second is a project I just completed for anther business I am involved with, a company offering senior care franchises called At Home Eldercare. We recorded an interview session that started out as a video to post on social media, and it morphed into a podcast. You can give it a listen here.

Take pride in your work. Go ahead and toot your own horn once in a while. Celebrate what makes you stand out, even if it's just the fact that you have a kind heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment