Monday, September 14, 2020

1000 Words

 No, I am not going to write a thousand words this evening. I was just thinking about this morning, when I used my bout of insomnia to bang out a couple of video scripts for a client. I had been up all night, and decided to get ahead of some content. For the last couple of years, I had not been consistently writing with any type of regularity, or more than the occasional brochure, a flyer here or there, or updating website content.

Now I get to wrote a lot of content, blogs, white papers, an e-book. I am also moving into story boarding videos and then generating the scripts, although no dialogue. So far, they are just long ad copy, 3 or 4 minute commercials. 

But I am going to take my wife's advice and start using my extremely unique skill set. I have been a radio talk host, reporter, news anchor, etc for over 3 decades. My ability to draw the best out of people in an interview is something that very few people can do well, dare I say even some folks in positions at national media outlets.

                                            My last radio gig at legacy station WPTF in Raleigh

That brings me to my thought for the day. If you are going to take advantage of the gaining popularity of podcasting to market your business, or even just for the fun of it, then seek the services of someone like me. Even if it's just some basic coaching. But if you are going to really stand out in a very crowded field of amateur online audio, then get a co-host, what I used to call they radio guy. There are a lot of very talented people that have been cast aside by corporate radio in the name of shareholder value.

More and more radio stations are staffed by robots, or someone recording liners from another state, with a syndicated morning show that has no idea what is happening in the markets they broadcast in. That opens up a whole new talent pool of people that know what sounds good, how to turn a phrase, and most importantly, make you sound smart. Even just hiring voice talent to record intros and video voiceovers. 

Radio allowed me to experience things not many people get to do, like covering the Space Shuttle launches and meeting some of favorite authors. It also gave me a perspective on storytelling that made me a better marketer.

                           
                                       Shuttle Endeavor just before launch over my left shoulder

Hire a professional, There's enough terrible content out in the world that standing out doesn't have to be that expensive or difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment